Feeling a little blah or out of sorts after Thanksgiving?
Maybe achy joints or muscles, brain fog, fatigue, headaches, allergies, migraines, asthma, acne, irritable bowel, reflux, arthritis or worse.
A detox could be your solution to these and other problems.
When I use the word “detox,” I mean a scientifically designed detox from sugar, and all things that turn to sugar.
There are thousands of benefits to detoxification, but let’s take a look at the top five:
I do a detox at least twice a year—not to lose weight, but to reboot my metabolism.
Join me for the next 14-Day Detox. I hope you can join me for the next 14-Day Detox. Click Here to Register!
The Holiday and weight gain season is right around the corner starting with Halloween and ending with New Year’s.
Here are some tips that will help you to lose or maintain your weight during this eating-fest time of the year.
This is the start of the sugar binging and weight gain season.
Tip: Do not buy candy you like so you will not eat what is leftover. So if you like peanut butter then do not buy candy with peanut butter in them or you like chocolate then buy hard candy.
Everyone blames the poor turkey for making them tired and lazy after they eat but the blame really needs to shift to all the starchy carbs being consumed like sweet potatoes, dressing, mashed potatoes, rolls, and pumpkin pie.
Tip: Focus on eating more non-starchy veggies like green salads, carrots, celery (not stuffed with cheese cream or peanut butter), and cucumbers.
This is when things can really get out of control. By the time most of us get to the Holiday party season we are stressed or burned out, maybe emotionally eating, maybe drinking more than usual, or maybe just in a funk.
Tips: Start doing movement or exercise daily to help raise your serotonin and dopamine levels. Eat before you go to a party so you won’t be as tempted to eat food layer in fat, salt and sugar. Drink a glass of water in between your drinks to minimize the effects of alcohol on your body like converting it directly to belly fat.
We at Discover Optimal Wellness hope these tips will help you maintain or lose weight during the Holiday Season.
We would love to hear your tips by leaving a comment.
Have a safe and happy Holiday Season!!
The days are counting down to Christmas, but for many of us that means the pounds are counting up! Oh no! The holidays are difficult for even the most strong-willed, health-conscious bodybuilder, much less for the every day person!
At Discover Optimal Wellness we have compiled a list of gifts that you could put under your tree this year, for yourself and for your family and friends, that will give you a head start on those New Year's Resolutions.
We want to give a special congratulations to everyone going through the program right now! You are a superstar! This experience will make the rest of the year a piece of...apple!
Before you read further, really think about the people you're gifting this season. What kinds of health goals have they confided about with you? We never want to force our friends or family into a lifestyle they're not ready for, and we don't want to be accused of calling anyone overweight or unhealthy!
Ok, now you're ready. Look at the list and think about what would your gift recipients LOVE, rather than what you think they really need! We are all moving toward wellness at our own pace! Also, note that many of these gifts are intended for children and teenagers (but please feel free to be young at heart!).
Great Gifts that will help you and yours Discover Optimal Wellness:
We are also happy to put together a gift package for your friend or family member that includes recipes and coaching and much more! Please contact us for more information.
This holiday season is bound to be filled with family, fun and oh yes--temptations! There is nothing more challenging than eating well when tradition and family have something else on the menu. Whether you're in the middle of a Discover Optimal Wellness program, or just looking to get started, these tips will help with your holiday well-being.
Share your recipe finds, tradition ideas, and ingredients of life you're thankful for below! :)
We've run into our fair share of Calorie and Carb Counters, and hey--we've probably been there once ourselves. Many diets are focused on carbohydrate and calorie counting to the point of requiring a calculator alongside your fork, knife and spoon. It's easy to get into these diets at first, because that mental requirement certainly gives us a feeling of control and a sense of accomplishment. While the pounds may remain, we at least feel like we're now in charge.
The biggest problem with these diets is that the focus is not on overall wellness. Rather than learning what ingredients are involved in a healthy diet, eating is turned into a math equation. And when you're away from your cheat sheet, you're back to where you started: completely unaware of what to eat, what will satisfy you, and what will truly make you feel good.
With the Discover Optimal Wellness weight loss programs, we focus on foods that don't come with nutrition labels. That's right--foods that grow from the ground without any logos, marketing or numbers adhered to their sides.
Rather than learning how to count, you'll learn how to shop for and cook with whole foods: grains, legumes, fruits, vegetables, nuts. You'll learn how to listen to your body rather than the pressure of advertising. You might realize that spinach and kale are your favorite foods. You may even start wishing that your favorite characters on your favorite TV shows were holding a green smoothie, instead of a Diet Coke--so that you can really get behind their choices in the story line.
Ok, that might be a bit ridiculous.
But truly we want you to be in tune with what you're eating and how it's affecting you. We want you to know exactly which foods were responsible for your weight loss, rather than thinking you hit the magic math equation.
With our 5 Key Elements you'll be able to restore common sense to your every day diet and wellness plan. No more calculators. No more panicking over the numbers. Just load up your cart with the whole foods, learn which ones you love, and enjoy!
The next time you're looking for a snack, we hope you remember the silly picture above. Go for the snack with NO nutrition label; the one that someone picked!
Guess what! Even the government is noticing the dangers of many weight-loss programs, foods and supplements. The USDA made a notice earlier this month about the dangers of:
The FDA is asking consumers not to purchase or use the products above that are promoted and sold for weight loss on various websites and in some retail stores.
These products contain sibutramine. Sibutramine is similar to an amphetamine, and results in increased cardiovascular problems, and strokes. Phenolphthalein was found in Mix Fruit Slimming. Phenolphthalein can cause cancer. Items with sibutramine or phenolphthalein have been pulled from the shelves in most of the world, including the United States.
These products pose a threat to consumers because sibutramine is known to substantially increase blood pressure and/or pulse rate in some patients and may present a significant risk for patients with a history of coronary artery disease, congestive heart failure, arrhythmias, or stroke. These products may also interact, in life-threatening ways, with other medications a consumer may be taking. Studies have that indicated that phenolphthalein presents a cancer-causing risk. --FDA
"Many of the people who go through my course are suffering not only from obesity but also from high blood pressure. That's why the 'quick-fix' weight loss products are so dangerous," Susan Hood, Wellness Coach comments. She explains how people who follow her program not only lose weight, but can often times get off of their medication for high blood pressure.
With Discover Optimal Wellness, all-natural, healthy methods are used to achieve long-lasting results!
It's a cultural belief that fruit juice is a necessary element in our diets. Children, before they can walk, are given a bottle of juice, in the hopes that the child will receive all the necessary vitamins needed to grow and be healthy. Unfortunately, drinking fruit juice is not a helpful habit to get into!
Key Element: Reduce Sugar Consumption
Breaking the juice habit is a fast and sure way to reduce sugar consumption, as well as get you back on track with your weight loss goals. Most fruit juices have a minimum of 20 grams of sugar per serving (and few drink just one serving at a time). Sodas range in the 20s, 30s and 40s, depending on how many artificial additives the drink contains. Regardless of the beverage, excessive sugars will not help in Discovering Optimal Wellness!
What can I drink besides fruit juice?
You're thirsty though, and plain water might not be satisfying your cravings! Here are a few ideas for making water more fun as your body is getting reacquainted with Health!
Be mindful of water infused with perishable items. Keep these jars refrigerated, or consume quickly!
The trick is to drink water before you get a serious craving. By making fun-infused water readily available, you won't hankering for a tall glass of orange juice.
Anything else I can drink, besides water?
Yes! There are a number of other drinks to get accustomed to:
Discover Optimal Wellness with this powerful Key Element: Reduce Sugar Consumption!
When I read this article from my friend JJ Virgin (NY Times Bestselling Author) I just had to share it. It just might blow your mind....I know a few of my clients have had their thinking turned upside down when they see their metabolic results prove these rules are myths.
Enjoy this myth busting weight loss rules article.
To your health,
The 5 Big Weight Loss Rules That Make You Fat by JJ Virgin
“But I don’t even like it!” my client snapped, pointing to endless containers of fat-free yogurt as we strolled through her local health food store. “You mean to tell me I ate this nasty stuff that tastes like wallpaper paste for years and it’s not even healthy?”
Within her reaction I heard equal parts frustration and joy: She realized manufacturers and so-called experts had misled her, yet never again must she endure those tasteless fake foods.
As a nutrition and fitness expert, myth busting has become a major part of my job. We’ve been fed misinformation and outright lies about our health, and we’ve swallowed them hook, line, and sinker. (Sorry, couldn’t resist.) Those myths might sound humorous if their consequences weren’t so tragic: they’re showing up around our midsections and destroying our health.
I compiled five huge myths: you know, the ones nearly everyone considers nutrition gospel, even if they’ve stolen our health and made us fatter. Any of these sound familiar?
1. Everything in moderation. Surely you’ve got that “live a little” friend or coworker whose perennial diet claims no food is bad or off-limits, so she enjoys a homemade brownie your receptionist brought in and digs into fries with ketchup at lunch because they fit into her point system. Her frequent pleasures mean she carries a little extra weight, and you’re sure food intolerances contribute to her frequent headaches and other symptoms. “Everything in moderation” is a failed cliché in the nutrition world because it gets us into serious trouble. Moderation becomes a slippery slope (a cheat meal becomes a cheat day), triggers cravings, opens the floodgates for food intolerances, and ignores the serious damage certain foods can create.
2. Calories in, calories out. Eat less and exercise more. That’s the standard advice doctors and so-called experts frequently dispense. You know the mindset: I’ll burn 500 calories on the elliptical machine so I can indulge in some after-gym fro-yo. If only fat loss were that easy… Your body is a chemistry lab, not a bank account. The calories-in/calories-out mentality allows manufacturers to promote 100-calorie snack packs as healthy and ignores the thousands of biochemical processes that occur at any moment in your body. Simply put: Calories count, but hormones matter more.
3. Fat makes you fat. Duh, right? (Channeling a certain bleached-spiky-hair 1980s fitness female here.) Certainly sounds logical, but so did acid-washed jeans at the time. Let’s just toss them both as painfully outdated relics. “Low fat” or “fat free” almost always translates into “higher-sugar processed food,” and I can’t think of a single food in nature that’s entirely fat free. Even fruit has a little high-quality fat. The only fats to completely eliminate are trans and damaged fats. Otherwise, consider the source. There’s a world of difference between the saturated fat in a fast-food cheeseburger and what you get in coconut milk.
4. Whole grain “goodness.” “What does ‘whole grain’ mean?” I’ll occasionally ask someone. Nobody can give me a good answer, but it certainly sounds healthy, right? For a grain to be truly whole, it must contain the bran, germ, and endosperm. Most foods don’t meet those criteria, yet manufacturers love this term because they can fortify pretty much any junk food with “whole grains” and suddenly it becomes healthy. Believe me, there’s nothing “whole” about a sugary, gluten-filled toaster strudel or breakfast cereal. Real, healthy whole grains include quinoa (actually a seed), wild rice, and gluten-free oats.
5. Eat a “balanced breakfast” of juice, milk, cereal and toast. Knowing full well you’re short on time, manufacturers concoct all kinds of sugary, processed, fortified foods to start your day. Eating a bowl of “healthy” cereal with skim milk with a banana and OJ is a sugar roller coaster set to crash about 10:30 a.m. That’s because your body converts nearly all that high-carbohydrate breakfast into sugar, which stores quite nicely around your midsection. Equally bad: skipping breakfast entirely, which raises your stress hormones and triggers an all-day craving and hunger cycle. A recent study in Obesity (Silver Spring) found a high-calorie breakfast helped overweight and obese women lose more weight than a high-calorie dinner. It’s that important. As easy as it is to get breakfast wrong, it’s even easier to make it right. I start every morning with a protein shake: Plant-based (but not soy) protein powder, frozen raspberries, raw leafy greens, freshly ground flaxseed, and unsweetened coconut or almond milk. In about the time it takes to toast that sugary strudel, you can have a filling, fat-burning breakfast without the excuses.
You’ve probably bought into some of these myths. I did for years, even as I wondered why I couldn’t ditch those last few pounds and frequently struggled with skin problems, bloating, and other issues.
Good news: There’s light at the end of the tunnel. In seven days, you can be in an entirely different place. I know you’re persistent and focused. You’ve just been following the wrong set of rules counting calories, watching fat grams, and diligently buying “healthy” foods that create more havoc than good.
When you redirect that effort and start seeing food differently – as fuel to keep your metabolic and hormonal machinery running efficiently – you begin connecting what you eat with how you feel. You discover a new normal. Headaches, bloating, and other annoying symptoms disappear. You like who you see in the mirror better. You start losing fat effortlessly without being hungry or eating foods you don’t enjoy.
Jakubowicz D, et al. High Caloric intake at breakfast vs. dinner differentially influences weight loss of overweight and obese women. Obesity (Silver Spring). 2013 Dec;21(12):2504-12. doi: 10.1002/oby.20460. Epub 2013 Jul 2.
Thank you for showing interest in discovering your optimal wellness. I’m Susan Hood, your wellness coach, and creator of the Discover Optimal Wellness program. I will be your guide through this lifestyle shift towards your optimal wellness found in this easy to follow program.
The Discover Optimal Wellness program evolved over the years from my experiences of working with other programs, coaching hundreds of clients, and discovering how food plays a major role in how you look and feel.
Before sharing the 5 Key Elements to the Discover Optimal Wellness program, I would like you to hear firsthand from some that have discovered it themselves.
Testimonial: Kimberly Shore: Discover Optimal Wellness Client
Before the Discover Optimal Wellness program I was 173, and I had no energy, I was sick a lot, it took everything I had just to get up to go get stuff done during the day. My clothes where too tight all the time, I was uncomfortable, I was bloated a lot.
What I discovered during the program was that I was a sugar addict. I definitely have a gluten intolerance. What I discovered was that I did not have any acid reflux. Which was wonderful for me, it would strike me every few weeks and I would take my pill and I would be fine for a while, and with the program I didn’t have any occurrence of acid reflux. I didn’t have any bloating. I had no flatulence. I noticed clothes were fitting me looser and my energy levels have started to really, really, increase. I feel more positive. I went to the doctor here just recently and she has dropped back my depression medicine. We are dropping back my blood pressure medicine, and then after the thyroid check, we will see about that. So I feel like I am on the road to being off of these prescriptions because I feel as if you’re in your optimal health you don’t need these prescriptions.
I am just continuing on learning new ways to eat wonderful fresh, clean, green foods. I am going to continue. I have a goal and be my tiny little self again.
Testimonial: Susan Hood: Program graduate
Before the Discover Optimal Wellness program:
· I weighed 158 lbs;
· I was wearing size 14 pants with a “muffin top” (really a size 16 in denial);
· I was suffering from Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Acid Reflux;
· My cholesterol was 199 and my doctor wanted me to start medications;
· I was experiencing hot flashes;
· I had frequent colds and sinus infections;
· I felt run down and lacked energy all the time.
During the Discover Optimal Wellness program I found how foods could determine how I looked and felt. I started getting my energy back, and I started shedding the pounds.
After the Discover Optimal Wellness program my weight was down 8 lbs and 2.5 inches around my waist smaller. I was wearing a size 12. My irritable bowel syndrome and my acid reflux had disappeared. I had more energy than ever thought I could have.
While continuing with the 5 Key Elements of the Discover Optimal Wellness program, I lost a total of 41 lbs and 10.5 inches around my waistline. My 14’s went down to a size 4 and all my medical issues went away.
Testimonial: Dr. Jack: Family First Chiropractic and Discover Optimal Wellness Client
My life before the program basically came from a place where I understood nutrition and the affects of food on us pretty well with my training. I wanted to try it out for myself and I actually paid for my whole team in the office to go through the program to experience it so we could speak from firsthand knowledge.
What I discovered during the program was that really food is highly effective at changing your mood, changing the way you feel, the energy you have. And really paying attention to it over the weeks helped me understand, on even a higher level, how food interacted with my body and my energy levels. How I felt in the mornings, throughout the day, at the end of the day. I was really impressed with all the features of the program in that it addressed detoxification, the cleansing aspect and then also the relationship that people learn with food.
So the results after the program were numerous: Higher energy level; Weight loss; It was easy and nutritious.
On a professional level, the take away is the confidence in referring patience’s to this program to tell them about it and say look this is what you should expect to get from this program and it is going to be worth for you, valuable, and could change your life.
Let me share the 5 Key Elements: RE3D® of the Discover Optimal Wellness program:
· Reducing Sugar
· Eating Unprocessed Foods
· Eating Vegetables
· Enhancing Detoxification and Digestion
· Discovering Hidden Food Intolerances
As you can see the Discover Optimal Wellness Program does work and holds the potential to turn your own life around. So get started now, REGISTER and receive lifetime access to program materials.
Let’s get started!!
28-Day Detox Overview Join us
Subscribe now for your Free Gift!
Discover more about: