Summer is just around the corner and before you go stripping down let's make sure you are protecting your skin from the harmful effects of the sun.
Discovering optimal wellness is not only about eating and drinking the highest quality foods and beverages, but also about putting the least hazardous products on your skin.
Remember that your skin is your largest organ and absorbs all the ingredients you rub on so you want to be sure the sunscreen you are putting on is the best available product with the least amount of toxic chemicals.
Here are the 7 tips:
I have included a link (Click Here) from the Environmental Working Group's Sunscreen Buying Guide. Hopefully, this will help you figure out the best sunscreen is for you.
We would love to hear what your favorite sunscreen is and what changes you have made to Discover Optimal Wellness!
One of the biggest challenges of Discovering Optimal Wellness is rethinking long-held beliefs. Many of the concepts that we dive into on the road to health are as crazy as saying the world is round! We've been given information by our parents, grandparents, siblings, doctors, teachers, friends, society--and it can be a real shocker to discover that this information is wrong or only partially true.
What we've been told:
Drink your milk! You need it to grow. It's the only way you're going to get enough calcium. You want strong bones, don't you?
What we've discovered:
Cow's milk is not a necessary, nor a contributing ingredient in the recipe for health.
What about Osteoporosis?
Osteoporotic bone fracture rates are highest in countries that consume the most dairy, calcium, and animal protein. --The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition
Dairy won't hurt me, though, right?
... evidence shows that consuming milk or dairy products may contribute to the risk of prostate and ovarian cancers, autoimmune diseases, and some childhood ailments. --The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition
But I still need calcium, right?
Neither milk nor calcium intake >500 mg/day appears to have any beneficial effect on bones. However, achievable levels of exercise and fitness did have a favorable effect. --The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition
Many factors are taken into consideration when finding calcium balance. Diets high in animal protein and salt will need more calcium. For a diet that follows our program, 500 mg/day of calcium is sufficient--and that will be easy to achieve on our program!
How can I get 500 mg/day of calcium without dairy?
There's no way I can pour kale over my cereal. How much of this stuff do I need to eat?
Just one four-ounce serving of steamed kale is equal to the calcium in a cup of milk! And you'll be absorbing 50% of it, instead of just 32% of the calcium in milk. If you can only eat dark, green vegetables when they're hidden in your food, and barely visible, go ahead and have a glass of fortified, unsweetened almond milk!
It's not easy to step out and do things differently, especially when it comes to food. Please feel free to share your thoughts on overcoming dairy dependence. We would love to hear how you've Discovered Optimal Wellness!
It's a cultural belief that fruit juice is a necessary element in our diets. Children, before they can walk, are given a bottle of juice, in the hopes that the child will receive all the necessary vitamins needed to grow and be healthy. Unfortunately, drinking fruit juice is not a helpful habit to get into!
Key Element: Reduce Sugar Consumption
Breaking the juice habit is a fast and sure way to reduce sugar consumption, as well as get you back on track with your weight loss goals. Most fruit juices have a minimum of 20 grams of sugar per serving (and few drink just one serving at a time). Sodas range in the 20s, 30s and 40s, depending on how many artificial additives the drink contains. Regardless of the beverage, excessive sugars will not help in Discovering Optimal Wellness!
What can I drink besides fruit juice?
You're thirsty though, and plain water might not be satisfying your cravings! Here are a few ideas for making water more fun as your body is getting reacquainted with Health!
Be mindful of water infused with perishable items. Keep these jars refrigerated, or consume quickly!
The trick is to drink water before you get a serious craving. By making fun-infused water readily available, you won't hankering for a tall glass of orange juice.
Anything else I can drink, besides water?
Yes! There are a number of other drinks to get accustomed to:
Discover Optimal Wellness with this powerful Key Element: Reduce Sugar Consumption!
When I read this article from my friend JJ Virgin (NY Times Bestselling Author) I just had to share it. It just might blow your mind....I know a few of my clients have had their thinking turned upside down when they see their metabolic results prove these rules are myths.
Enjoy this myth busting weight loss rules article.
To your health,
The 5 Big Weight Loss Rules That Make You Fat by JJ Virgin
“But I don’t even like it!” my client snapped, pointing to endless containers of fat-free yogurt as we strolled through her local health food store. “You mean to tell me I ate this nasty stuff that tastes like wallpaper paste for years and it’s not even healthy?”
Within her reaction I heard equal parts frustration and joy: She realized manufacturers and so-called experts had misled her, yet never again must she endure those tasteless fake foods.
As a nutrition and fitness expert, myth busting has become a major part of my job. We’ve been fed misinformation and outright lies about our health, and we’ve swallowed them hook, line, and sinker. (Sorry, couldn’t resist.) Those myths might sound humorous if their consequences weren’t so tragic: they’re showing up around our midsections and destroying our health.
I compiled five huge myths: you know, the ones nearly everyone considers nutrition gospel, even if they’ve stolen our health and made us fatter. Any of these sound familiar?
1. Everything in moderation. Surely you’ve got that “live a little” friend or coworker whose perennial diet claims no food is bad or off-limits, so she enjoys a homemade brownie your receptionist brought in and digs into fries with ketchup at lunch because they fit into her point system. Her frequent pleasures mean she carries a little extra weight, and you’re sure food intolerances contribute to her frequent headaches and other symptoms. “Everything in moderation” is a failed cliché in the nutrition world because it gets us into serious trouble. Moderation becomes a slippery slope (a cheat meal becomes a cheat day), triggers cravings, opens the floodgates for food intolerances, and ignores the serious damage certain foods can create.
2. Calories in, calories out. Eat less and exercise more. That’s the standard advice doctors and so-called experts frequently dispense. You know the mindset: I’ll burn 500 calories on the elliptical machine so I can indulge in some after-gym fro-yo. If only fat loss were that easy… Your body is a chemistry lab, not a bank account. The calories-in/calories-out mentality allows manufacturers to promote 100-calorie snack packs as healthy and ignores the thousands of biochemical processes that occur at any moment in your body. Simply put: Calories count, but hormones matter more.
3. Fat makes you fat. Duh, right? (Channeling a certain bleached-spiky-hair 1980s fitness female here.) Certainly sounds logical, but so did acid-washed jeans at the time. Let’s just toss them both as painfully outdated relics. “Low fat” or “fat free” almost always translates into “higher-sugar processed food,” and I can’t think of a single food in nature that’s entirely fat free. Even fruit has a little high-quality fat. The only fats to completely eliminate are trans and damaged fats. Otherwise, consider the source. There’s a world of difference between the saturated fat in a fast-food cheeseburger and what you get in coconut milk.
4. Whole grain “goodness.” “What does ‘whole grain’ mean?” I’ll occasionally ask someone. Nobody can give me a good answer, but it certainly sounds healthy, right? For a grain to be truly whole, it must contain the bran, germ, and endosperm. Most foods don’t meet those criteria, yet manufacturers love this term because they can fortify pretty much any junk food with “whole grains” and suddenly it becomes healthy. Believe me, there’s nothing “whole” about a sugary, gluten-filled toaster strudel or breakfast cereal. Real, healthy whole grains include quinoa (actually a seed), wild rice, and gluten-free oats.
5. Eat a “balanced breakfast” of juice, milk, cereal and toast. Knowing full well you’re short on time, manufacturers concoct all kinds of sugary, processed, fortified foods to start your day. Eating a bowl of “healthy” cereal with skim milk with a banana and OJ is a sugar roller coaster set to crash about 10:30 a.m. That’s because your body converts nearly all that high-carbohydrate breakfast into sugar, which stores quite nicely around your midsection. Equally bad: skipping breakfast entirely, which raises your stress hormones and triggers an all-day craving and hunger cycle. A recent study in Obesity (Silver Spring) found a high-calorie breakfast helped overweight and obese women lose more weight than a high-calorie dinner. It’s that important. As easy as it is to get breakfast wrong, it’s even easier to make it right. I start every morning with a protein shake: Plant-based (but not soy) protein powder, frozen raspberries, raw leafy greens, freshly ground flaxseed, and unsweetened coconut or almond milk. In about the time it takes to toast that sugary strudel, you can have a filling, fat-burning breakfast without the excuses.
You’ve probably bought into some of these myths. I did for years, even as I wondered why I couldn’t ditch those last few pounds and frequently struggled with skin problems, bloating, and other issues.
Good news: There’s light at the end of the tunnel. In seven days, you can be in an entirely different place. I know you’re persistent and focused. You’ve just been following the wrong set of rules counting calories, watching fat grams, and diligently buying “healthy” foods that create more havoc than good.
When you redirect that effort and start seeing food differently – as fuel to keep your metabolic and hormonal machinery running efficiently – you begin connecting what you eat with how you feel. You discover a new normal. Headaches, bloating, and other annoying symptoms disappear. You like who you see in the mirror better. You start losing fat effortlessly without being hungry or eating foods you don’t enjoy.
Jakubowicz D, et al. High Caloric intake at breakfast vs. dinner differentially influences weight loss of overweight and obese women. Obesity (Silver Spring). 2013 Dec;21(12):2504-12. doi: 10.1002/oby.20460. Epub 2013 Jul 2.
Thank you for showing interest in discovering your optimal wellness. I’m Susan Hood, your wellness coach, and creator of the Discover Optimal Wellness program. I will be your guide through this lifestyle shift towards your optimal wellness found in this easy to follow program.
The Discover Optimal Wellness program evolved over the years from my experiences of working with other programs, coaching hundreds of clients, and discovering how food plays a major role in how you look and feel.
Before sharing the 5 Key Elements to the Discover Optimal Wellness program, I would like you to hear firsthand from some that have discovered it themselves.
Testimonial: Kimberly Shore: Discover Optimal Wellness Client
Before the Discover Optimal Wellness program I was 173, and I had no energy, I was sick a lot, it took everything I had just to get up to go get stuff done during the day. My clothes where too tight all the time, I was uncomfortable, I was bloated a lot.
What I discovered during the program was that I was a sugar addict. I definitely have a gluten intolerance. What I discovered was that I did not have any acid reflux. Which was wonderful for me, it would strike me every few weeks and I would take my pill and I would be fine for a while, and with the program I didn’t have any occurrence of acid reflux. I didn’t have any bloating. I had no flatulence. I noticed clothes were fitting me looser and my energy levels have started to really, really, increase. I feel more positive. I went to the doctor here just recently and she has dropped back my depression medicine. We are dropping back my blood pressure medicine, and then after the thyroid check, we will see about that. So I feel like I am on the road to being off of these prescriptions because I feel as if you’re in your optimal health you don’t need these prescriptions.
I am just continuing on learning new ways to eat wonderful fresh, clean, green foods. I am going to continue. I have a goal and be my tiny little self again.
Testimonial: Susan Hood: Program graduate
Before the Discover Optimal Wellness program:
· I weighed 158 lbs;
· I was wearing size 14 pants with a “muffin top” (really a size 16 in denial);
· I was suffering from Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Acid Reflux;
· My cholesterol was 199 and my doctor wanted me to start medications;
· I was experiencing hot flashes;
· I had frequent colds and sinus infections;
· I felt run down and lacked energy all the time.
During the Discover Optimal Wellness program I found how foods could determine how I looked and felt. I started getting my energy back, and I started shedding the pounds.
After the Discover Optimal Wellness program my weight was down 8 lbs and 2.5 inches around my waist smaller. I was wearing a size 12. My irritable bowel syndrome and my acid reflux had disappeared. I had more energy than ever thought I could have.
While continuing with the 5 Key Elements of the Discover Optimal Wellness program, I lost a total of 41 lbs and 10.5 inches around my waistline. My 14’s went down to a size 4 and all my medical issues went away.
Testimonial: Dr. Jack: Family First Chiropractic and Discover Optimal Wellness Client
My life before the program basically came from a place where I understood nutrition and the affects of food on us pretty well with my training. I wanted to try it out for myself and I actually paid for my whole team in the office to go through the program to experience it so we could speak from firsthand knowledge.
What I discovered during the program was that really food is highly effective at changing your mood, changing the way you feel, the energy you have. And really paying attention to it over the weeks helped me understand, on even a higher level, how food interacted with my body and my energy levels. How I felt in the mornings, throughout the day, at the end of the day. I was really impressed with all the features of the program in that it addressed detoxification, the cleansing aspect and then also the relationship that people learn with food.
So the results after the program were numerous: Higher energy level; Weight loss; It was easy and nutritious.
On a professional level, the take away is the confidence in referring patience’s to this program to tell them about it and say look this is what you should expect to get from this program and it is going to be worth for you, valuable, and could change your life.
Let me share the 5 Key Elements: RE3D® of the Discover Optimal Wellness program:
· Reducing Sugar
· Eating Unprocessed Foods
· Eating Vegetables
· Enhancing Detoxification and Digestion
· Discovering Hidden Food Intolerances
As you can see the Discover Optimal Wellness Program does work and holds the potential to turn your own life around. So get started now, REGISTER and receive lifetime access to program materials.
Let’s get started!!
28-Day Detox Overview Join us
Subscribe now for your Free Gift!
Discover more about: